Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Halloween fun

I'm not a big fan of Halloween, but Jordan is so I do activities with him. I don't like witches and goblins. I would rather meddle in pumpkins and scarecrows. I guess I just like fall more than the actual holiday of Halloween. I love carving pumpkins and baking fall treats and going to harvest parties. Dressing up is a perk. Diana frowns on me because she loves Halloween and scary things and decorating the house with goblins and evil. I'm not cool with that, but we compromise (the standing rule is that she can do and hang ANYTHING she wants in her bedroom).

I am a member of FamilyFun.com and LOVE the weekly e-mails I get from them. Every Wednesday they send out a "weekender" e-mail with craft ideas. Today I found one for Salt Dough Ghosts and I think Jordan and I will make some bitty ghosts tonight.

Craft Materials:

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 cup salt
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Bowl
  • Wooden spoon
  • Fine-point permanent black marker

Combine the flour, salt and water in a bowl. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until smooth.

Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and shape each into a ghost, flattening the base so it will stand up.

Microwave the ghosts on a plate one or two at a time for 20-30 second intervals until the dough is fairly firm (about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes total). Let the ghosts cool (they can get quite hot).

Use a fine-point permanent black marker to draw on eyes and a mouth.

1 comment:

Kati said...

Yeah...Those are so cute! We're not big on the "scary" side of Halloween either, and tend to lean towards the Harvest celebrations! Maybe we'll make some pumpkins or something! Thanks for sharing!