Monday, July 2, 2007

Trying not to get my hopes up...

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a car because I'm sick and tired of not having one. I check the public notices at work religiously and this morning I found this car:

It's a '93 Toyota Corolla. 176k miles, 29-33 mpg, A/C, CD player, clean title. The guy said it would be perfect as a commuter car or a first car. I fit both of those criteria. I would use it mostly for driving to and from Steve's house, which would be all highway miles. I would probably drive it to work sometimes but I'm going to try hard to still ride the bus after I get a car because its' free.

I called my credit union about a loan (there's no way I could afford ANY car without a loan) and I could get a pretty good deal on a 4-year loan. (As I write this Steve is texting saying I should check out a slightly bigger loan and we could shop car lots, but I'm really not thrilled about dealing with car salesmen.)

I really didn't think my Monday morning would start out with looking into buying a car... But it's exciting! I'm the second person to respond to this guy so he's supposed to keep me posted. I'm trying not to get my hopes up about it... But I want a car so bad! The thought of having a loan payment and an insurance payment AND gas makes my head spin, but I know I'm going to have to do it eventually.

Tying in with this... I'm going to try to talk to my boss next week (after she gets back from vacation) about getting a raise. She's putting more and more responsibility on me (which I'm fine with) and I feel like I should be making about $2 more per hour than I am. I'm only making about a dollar over minimum wage and I've been here for close to 4 years. We get a percentage raise once a year, but that's just not enough for me. I'm tired of living paycheck to paycheck and if I have more payments in the next month or so... I'm gonna need some more money!

THIS is why I'm not in school at the moment.

No comments: