Friday, August 24, 2007

What the heck??

I just got a call from a guy named Tad at American Family Insurance. He asked if it was a good time to talk and I told him no. So he continued talking, telling me he received an application for an insurance quote from me online. This was at LEAST 5 days ago. Way to be on the ball there, man. The rest of the conversation went something like this:

Me: "I'm no longer interested."

Tad: "Oh, do you have insurance now?"

M: "Yes."

T: "With who?"

M: (I know I should have told him it was none of his business but the guy's forwardness had me a little off guard.) "(insert name of insurance company here.)"

T: "You're kidding."

M: "No... Does it really matter? I'm no longer looking."

T: "Well, we're very competitive with (my insurance company) and I think we could get you a better rate. If you have a few minutes I can run that estimate for you."

M: "No, I'm at work and I already told you this was a bad time. I'm not interested."

End of conversation.

So then I get an e-mail from the guy! It said, "I just wanted to thank you for the time you spent with me on the phone today. I know that rate can vary from one company to the next and it can be an important factor in deciding who to get insurance from, but I want you to know that Honesty, Responsibility, Integrity, and Great Customer Service are values that will never change in me or my agency. Hope to hear from you soon!"

Since he hoped to hear from me soon, I wrote him an e-mail back. I told him that I didn't think he expressed responsibility, integrity OR great customer service and that unfortunately I would not be doing business with him in the future, nor would I recommend anyone to him. I also mentioned that I wasn't impressed when he told me that his company is a huge competitor of the company I chose. I don't think that's a good way to win over a customer who is already WITH the rival company.

The lady I've been dealing with all week has been SUPER helpful and friendly and doing everything she can to get me a good rate. I'm really glad I chose her. This other guy seems like a weasel.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

ha! Good job on the conversation. I hate pushy sales people.