Friday, September 28, 2007

Not all who wander are lost...

... Some of us are letterboxing.

Letterboxing is a hobby that my family has taken up and recently I also took it up.

Here is the basic idea:

Someone hides a letterbox somewhere. A letterbox is usually some sort of waterproof container and it holds a hand carved stamp and a journal (sometimes an inkpad, etc). The hider of the box then writes directions for finding the box (called clues) and posts them (letterboxing.org, atlasquest.com). These clues can be straightforward and easy or confusing and hard. They can be riddles, poems, etc. Sometimes the clues involve map coordinates or compass bearings, but not always.

Once the clues are posted, finders can look them up online and set out to find the letterbox. A finder (letterboxer) has a "trail name", their own hand carved stamp (called a signature stamp) and a journal. Once the letterboxer finds the box, they stamp their signature stamp in the box's journal (to show they've been there) and they stamp the stamp from the box in their own journal (to show where they've been).

This is a hobby most people have not heard of and the letterboxing community can be very eccentric. My parents have started hiding their own boxes recently.

Since I only just started, I'm not completely familiar with every term or aspect of the hobby. I did carve myself a signature stamp and make myself a journal.
I have printed out some clues and am anxious to start finding boxes! They are hidden all over the place. I found out recently that there are three hidden at Enchanted Forest and we were there twice this summer! I'm anxious to tell Jordan about it because to him it will be like a treasure hunt (and it kind of is!). I'll try to post more pictures of actual letterboxing when I start finding boxes.

1 comment:

Kati said...

Oh how fun! Sounds like Geo Cacheing, but not so high tech! Go my friend...and find yourself some boxes!