Monday, April 11, 2011

Change

Life has been full of change for us lately.

The biggest change happening for us is in Jordan's childcare. He is starting a before and after school program tomorrow, after being at his grandparents' house during that time since the dawning of his life in school. I will drop him off at this program at 6:45 in the morning and then head to work. He will take the bus to school and then back to the program after school, where I will pick him up.

We visited the program site on Friday afternoon so he could check it out and see where he would be going. I think he's going to really like it! They have games, computers, a Wii, blocks, toys and those melty beads that he adores. Of course when the leader asked him, "Do you like to do crafts?" he answered with, "Ehh... so-so." Yeah, whatever! :) He LOVES to do crafts!

I will stay with him for a bit tomorrow to make sure he's comfortable. I think he's going to love it, though. I have several friends and coworkers whose kids go or have gone to the same program and adored it.

Jordan is also getting super excited for summer camp this year. We picked up the camp schedule yesterday and I'm thrilled at all the fun things he gets to do (including a field trip to OMSI and one to a flour mill!). We were at the YMCA last night and ran into the camp leader, who Jordan just fell in love with last year. He asked if Jordan would be back this year and Jordan excitedly informed him that he would be.

We recently had Jordan's IEP meeting with all of his teachers and it went pretty well. There was one thing that really pissed me off and that was when I asked the principle if we could meet the 4th grade teachers and ask them some questions and kind of determine where we would like him placed next year (stemming from the fact that his 3rd grade teacher has NOT been a good match for him). She basically told us no, they will make that decision because they know the whole picture. Which I basically took to mean, "No, we know better than you what is best for your child, so butt out." I was not pleased but Steve told me later that another teacher had been mouthing to him, "I will help you." So I hope that he will be placed in a classroom that is good for him, with a teacher who wants to see him succeed. During the IEP meeting they would bring up a skill and ask if Jordan exhibits that skill in the classroom. His teacher would reply, with a sad look on her face, "No, he can't..."

How about no, he doesn't?? CAN'T is not a word they should be using for a kid who is so far behind grade level. I really feel that his teacher needs to have higher expectations of him so that he is pushed and stretched and made to grow. I can see that Jordan is frustrated being so far behind his peers, and it's almost like his teacher has written him off for the year and is pushing him on to the 4th grade teachers so that he can become their problem.

WRONG!

I am not going to sit back and watch my child be pushed through the system, falling further and further behind each year. He needs a teacher (like he had in 2nd grade) who will make it her personal goal to see him succeed for the year, and strive to help him arrive where he needs to be.

*deep breath*

It is still my dream to be able to quit my job and homeschool him. I believe that's what he really needs.

Which brings me to my next topic: Writing Road to Reading.

It's the program my parents used with my siblings (and a little bit with me, though I taught myself to read when I was 5, so I mostly just remember the parts I picked up from watching my brother and sister use the program) when we were all homeschooled. My mom bought the materials last week and we're really excited to start Jordan on it. It's a curriculum that teaches reading through writing and through using letters phonetically. We loved it and it was easy for us so I hope this is the breakthrough answer we need and that Jordan will be reading like a champ soon.

On top of all of these things (a lot to deal with at once!) I've been sick for three weeks with bronchitis and my car died! I finally went to the doctor last week and he put me on antibiotics and today I am finally starting to feel better. I'm coughing less, though I'm still stuffed up and can't hear out of one ear.

My car is just making me frustrated at this point. I spent several hundred dollars on it a few months ago, getting a new brake and rotor job. Now the O2 sensors are bad. And it's not firing on all six cylinders. And there is a head gasket leak. Which will cost a couple thousand to fix. It would be less if we had a family friend do it, but even then, I don't have a couple hundred to spend either. I think this is the beginning of the end for my car. I could fix these problems but a few months down the line, we'll just have more problems.

And so begins our search for a new car...

No comments: