Friday, November 16, 2012

What's in a name?

Before Peyton was born I sometimes thought about nicknames I might give her. I think nicknames come with personality and it's difficult (impossible) to know your baby's personality before they are born. So the only nickname I really gave much thought to before her birth was Sweet P. This is partly because there were 4 baby girls born on one side of our family this year between February and November. The first three babies all have names starting with P: Paloma, Presley and Peyton. Before they were even born we started calling them the Sweet P's or the 3 P's in a pod. :)

In the couple of weeks after Peyton's birth the nicknames started coming out. I don't notice Steve using very many with her but I found myself using a BUNCH. There are times when I'm trying to calm her down and I'm shushing and cooing and talking softly and I will use 5 or 6 nicknames in the span of a minute! It makes me wonder how I'll come up with anything to call our next kid. ;)

Peyton means "noble"
Rhea means "lamb"

I thought it would be fun to write down all of Peyton's nicknames. I wonder how many will have stuck if I look back on this post a few years from now!

In no particular order (sometimes it depends in the day!):

P (used most when talking about her in writing)
Sweet P
Sissy
Sister bear (and sissy bear)
Sister girl (and sissy girl)
Little girl (Steve and Jordan use this one)
Baby girl
Honey girl
Honey bug
Bug-a-bug
Sweetie bug
Peanut
Sugar (pronounced more like soogur)
Sugar booger
Tiny (my sister's name for her)
Punkin head
Punkin bug
Silly bug
Silly goose
Crazy

Plus the usuals - sweetie, honey, etc. And occasionally I actually call her Peyton Rhea. ;)

No comments: