Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The 500th post

It has been a BUSY two months since I last posted!

Let's see, I had just gotten engaged...

Since then I have been living in a whirlwind of wedding planning and life. We have booked our location and photographer, asked our wedding party to, well, be our wedding party, I chose a dress and this week we are working on cake, flowers and food. There is SO much to planning a wedding, I tell ya. It can get so overwhelming and I'm trying to pace myself and only work on a couple of tasks at a time.

We also had a parent/teacher conference yesterday. Those can be stressful for us because Jordan is on an IEP (Individualized Education Program) and visits several different groups during the day to work on different skills (math, reading, speech). His teachers keep close tabs on his progress and do a lot of different testing to determine where he's at and what his needs are.

Yesterday we decided to have them do some more testing in the next couple of weeks to get a better feel for his current needs. He is operating way below grade level and that can be very discouraging. Yesterday's meeting also made us think about some changes we can make at home and different skills to work on. The first thing we're going to try is a chore chart, in hopes that it will help Jordan keep himself on track and be able to follow multiple instructions in a row without getting off track. We talked this morning about different chores that we can put on the chart and different rewards he can earn when he follows through. He seems excited about it.

I'm also hoping to decrease cartoons and video games and limit those to a time of day AFTER he has completed some schoolwork and we've done reading together. They get so distracting for him and once he's started watching a show it's really hard to pull him away and keep his focus on another activity, especially if it's something that is difficult for him. I've been really impressed with his hard work lately on vocab and spelling and other schoolwork so I hope this is a positive change.

Another thing we have been talking about is homeschooling him when he hits 6th grade. In a perfect world, we will have at least one more child by then and I would be able to stay home with the kids and teach Jordan during the day. Financially I'm not sure this is realistic but it's kind of a dream we have and one that we haven't ruled out.

Other things we've been up to:

READING!
Anticipating a trip to the snow to go tubing
Playing with kitties
Laughing
Having consistent date nights/family nights every week
Spending lots of time with my family
Talking about goals and plans of action
Avoiding dishes
Trying to go to bed earlier! :)

1 comment:

Tessa said...

Wow, I didn't know any of this! We really should talk soon. I'll pray for what's going on. Love you!